Thursday, September 25, 2008

One day: YIPEEE!!! :) And, the next: YIKES!!! :(

We have been trying to potty-train Susie for a few weeks now (we would like to deplete the cost of diapers from our expenses... at least until November when baby #2 comes :)). Susie has been doing well, but had not shown even an inch of interest in going, well, may I say, poo. Until... two days ago; she notified me of a bowel movement on it's way... so, I rushed her to the potty and then came a magical sound: PLOP! Music to my ears! How proud I felt of my little girl and her floating little poop!

Well, yesterday... Susie was doing well with the potty, things were going just great, so I was feeling like I knew what I was doing, and I thought maybe, just maybe, I had finally figured this mothering thing out. I thought too soon.

I had put Susie down for a nap, but about 20 minutes or so later I could hear her talking in her room... so I entered. As soon as I opened the door a strong (brown colored) smell hit me. I wasn't expecting Susie to be automatically potty-trained after one successful poop on the toilet, but I did not expect what I was about to see either.

So, Susie had indeed pooped in her diaper, but the diaper was in her hands instead of on her bum where it belonged; her hands were covered brown, her hair was styled with her own body eliminations, streaks here and there on her beautiful face, the crib, the bedding, some on the floor, her favorite stuffed animals.... yikes!

I expected some regression, but... wow.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

oh april... i wish you had taken a photo. i would love to see that. :)
i want to potty train aaron jr so much... but he shows no interest.
i am hoping soon though.
i laughed at this story. thank you for sharing.
i still think you should have taken a photo. :) but i understand that not being the first thought in your mind. :)

Garrett and Mindy Sessions said...

Holy cow! Potty training is wild!! I was giving Carter a bath today and turned to grab something and then when I looked at him again, he had a log of poo in his hands. I almost barfed. Wow. The things we moms do for our babes.

Scott and Mal said...

Oh Susie... that is sooo funny! Good luck with more potty training

christa said...

Okay, I totally have the visual in my head of the whole thing and I'm laughing pretty hard right now. It's such a magical day when they're potty trained, but the whole thing leading up to it, yeah, can be a little more difficult. I'm glad there's not photo on here, but hope you took one for memory. Poor little Suzie all covered in poo!!!

p.s. I bet that was REALLY fun to clean up!!!

Turner said...

oh, no!!! I'm so scared for the potty training thing!!!

Michelle M said...

I want to see a picture of the mess! I'm sure grabbing the camera was not on your mind while you stared at the horrific scene.