Tuesday, March 25, 2008

OPRAH!!!


I have been trying to get Oprah tickets since we moved to Illinois... and I finally got some! I called my mom to invite her to go with me and she screamed into the phone with excitement. It's been on her "things-to-do-before-I-die" list for some time now.
It was such a blast... even as good as the anticipation!!!
We liked to think that Oprah was in this Limo...
As we drove to Harpo Studios this limo drove along with us.

Before the show... we were soooo excited!
They don't tell you what the show will be about beforehand, so we were really hoping that it was anything uplifting or fun (we were crossing our fingers for Oprah's favorite things give-away!).
When we got inside they handed us a survey about "cheating on your spouse".... we were a bit bummed, thinking that was going to be the topic of the show. But, luckily, it wasn't!
The taping we attended was about the TV show called, "What would you do?". It was interesting and it really made you ask yourself that question.
The show we attended should air April 23rd.... so watch for us! (I highly doubt that we were filmed though)


My favorite part of this whole experience was that
Oprah shook my mom's hand!!!
When the show was done, Oprah exited by the isle we were sitting and I told my mom to stick her hand out over the edge of the railing... and Oprah took her hand and said, "Thanks for coming"! And my mom said to Oprah, "It was so fun!"
This is a picture of my mom's hand that shook Oprah's hand (Nerdy, I know, but really exciting too!). The other picture I found on the internet (they wouldn't let you bring in a camera).

This man is the host of the TV show "What would you do?" (I forgot his name). He's who Oprah interviewed during the taping we attended. We saw him on the street after the show and asked for a picture... he was a pretty nice guy.



"OOOOOoooooooo-prah!"

Visit to Lake Michigan... it was much colder than it looks!
Susie and Mom holding hands up the stairs.

Susie playing with Easter raffia with "Moore" (short for the Norwegian name for Grandma, Bestemoore)


When we dropped my mom off at the airport Susie just cried and cried, while calling out "Moore!" It was hard to see her go... we had so much fun! Susie still talks about Moore.
She'll say, "Moore, bye, bye" or "Thank you, Moore".
Thank you for coming Mom/Moore... we had a fun, fun time.... we miss you already!

13 comments:

Scott and Mal said...

This looks like sooo much fun!! You have to keep trying to get tickets and next time I'll fly out!! We miss you guys and hope you had a great easter! Love you

Dani said...

JEALOUS!!! I'm so glad you guys had fun and that your mom got to shake Oprah's hand!

Sadie Joy & Nicky Boy said...

Looks like you had a blast...excuse me while i sulk. Just kidding I love to see you having fun. Love the pictures of mom with Susie. Susie is such a little gem, so beautiful. Miss you guys.

Leslie said...

when i talked to your mom that week, and she said that you had thought you had 4 tickets, i was actually really excited because she mentioned me coming if i was home from oregon, but then she said that you had realized that you only had two tickets... oh well. :)
it looks like you both had such a great time. i would love to be at the taping of 'oprah's favorite things'. as if that would ever happen though.
anyhow, we look forward to coming out for a visit sometime soon. let us know when the weather gets nice and warm. hopefully your parents can come with us. we could all plan a trip to nauvoo or something. :)
ok, this has turned into a lengthy letter instead of just a quick comment. :)
love you guys.
leslie *

christa said...

Yes we are all Jealous!!! It's seriously like a dream. I'm so glad you did that with your mom. She was so excited to go!!! Susie looks so adorable in little Easter dress. We miss love and miss you guys.

christa said...

Yes that was supposed to be "WE LOVE AND MISS YOU GUYS". I'm a little tired at the moment. Off to bed...

Mark and Kandice said...

No way!! That is O-Mazing!! April how fun for you and Sue! Wow I am now speechless and full of envy!! :)

Anonymous said...

April!!
BTW, I’m glad to see that you still listen to Beatles songs, I still remember what hippie wanna-be’s we were. I know you get this all the time, but Susie is seriously adorable. She has got to be the happiest baby I have ever seen – look at that smile!!

When I found out about Aaron on your blog, I was all tears. My husband couldn’t understand why this would have such an impact on me, knowing that I hadn’t seen you or your family for so many years. It’s hard to explain what a role you and your family played in my life when we were young. I am so sorry. I can only imagine what trial this is for you and your family. I don’t know if you heard, but we also lost my brother Mark about 9 months ago (although under very different circumstances). Hopefully one day hopefully we’ll understand why these things happen.

I hope you are enjoying Chicago – that’s good your hubby is going to such a great school. Travis and I are both getting our master’s degrees right now, I can’t wait until we are done!! I really don’t mean to write a novel on your blog!

I miss you girl! Love,

Claudette

Kim said...

April - Okay, I am jealous too (but I think my mom is more so). How did you get tickets? Share your secret... I will watch for you on the 23rd...

Roxey said...

Awesome!! That is so great! Suz looks soooo grown up and adorable! Miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Gross! - yellow toe nails, LOL. That defnitely tops our story.

BTW, your mom's hand could be worth $ now. She could probably sell 2nd-hand handshakes to Oprah fanatics if she needed to.

Kirsten and Laura said...

WOW-- what a memorable experience for you and your mom. Love to see those big smiles on you ladies. Love you guys.
XoXo
Kirsten

jensenfamily said...

That's a great story! Your mom is so great. Susie is growing up so fast...Anyway, hope you guys are doing well, we think of your family often and wish we could see you all more! love, Erin