Sunday, January 27, 2008

Heavenly Text

The other week or so I was looking through my text messages... and found one that was sent by my brother Aaron's phone number. I gasped, then quickly opened it. It was sent on one of the last days that I saw him in person.

This day was August 1st, 2007. One of my last glimpses of him was on his way into the O'Hare Airport in Chicago. He was leaving to go back to his home in Utah. I can remember, and can picture him now waiting at the curbside trying to check-in his bags. He was wearing a black, dusty hat and grungy clothes that he had obviously worked in, doing who-knows-what... he did so much work, whether it was making furniture, painting, helping someone with their car, moving his sister across the country. He looked tired. But, as we drove away he turned around and waved to us with a humble grin.

Aaron drove the moving truck that we had rented all the way from Woods Cross, Utah to North Chicago, Illinois. Dave had become very ill a few days before we were to make the big move... and Aaron offered to do that for us. So Dave and Aaron drove together... and how grateful Dave is to have had that precious alone time with him. Aaron drove the whole way.

I flew to Chicago with Susie two or three days after Dave and Aaron left on the road. They were trying to plan it just right so that they would be to the airport, to pick me up, in the moving truck when I arrived. Aaron drove most of the night, backing-up into someones front lawn while trying to make a three-point-turn (they said that mud was flying), and then got up early to make it just minutes after I arrived by plane.

Not only did Aaron drive all that way, but he then helped us unload all of our belongings and carry them up three flights of stairs into our apartment.

I didn't even mention that he had constant back pain... yet, he still drove all that way in an uncomfortable moving truck and still carried all our heavy items up all those stairs.

He stayed one night at our new place.... buying us our first dinner in our new kitchen, which consisted of "authentic" Mexican food, as he said. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember what the restaurant was called that he got it at. He said that none of the workers spoke English.... so, he didn't even know what he was really ordering. But, it was very delicious! He then slept on our couch... I offered the bed, but he would not accept.

The next morning he helped us prepare the moving truck for return. Dave and I had wanted to spend the day in the city before he left, but he said 'no, no, next time I come'.

So, some of the last physical moments that I had with my brother were of him serving me in a huge way. But, I have to say that it was not at all abnormal for him to do stuff like this for me, my other siblings, or anyone else for that matter. He was full of charity. He loved big and wanted to show you whenever he got the chance. He took advantage of those opportunities.

I had written Aaron a small note of gratitude, for moving us across the country and for being the brother that I loved and looked up to. I slipped it into one of his bags before we headed to the airport.

After Aaron died, we went through some of his personal belongings. And in his wallet I found the note that I had written him. He had carried it with him all those months. I hope he read it often. It is a tender mercy to me, and I feel it to be a gift from Aaron that he did this. It means so much to me that my letter meant so much to him.

The text message that he wrote to me on August 1st, 2007 reads:
"Thanks for letting me help. I miss all three of u."

We miss you.

8 comments:

mindy said...

He sounds like such an amazing man. I am so glad that you got to spend that time with him when you guys moved up here. You will probably always remember that special time with him. I can tell that he loved you so much too.

Lisa said...

april. i was very touched by this post. you must miss him so much. i am so sorry. although i lost a brother, and it was so hard, i was so young. you have decades of memories with aaron. i can't imagine your pain. i am glad you have some tangible & intangible things to hold onto. i've been thinking about aaron a lot. it's still so hard to believe. he truly was a giving person. sending love your way. love, lisa (leslie's sister)

Kirsten and Laura said...

April...
I think about Aaron and your mom and Leslie and your family daily. I went to your moms on sunday and the feeling is so sad, I wish I could change things...Your family is so strong and so close, you are very lucky and I feel so lucky to have you as a cousin. I love you.
You are in my thoughts.
XoXO
Kirsten

Anonymous said...

PS. April email me your phone and address in Chicago

jensenkirst@gmail.com
Love, Kirsten

leah said...

April,
This touched my heart. I just finished writing your family. Do you want me to e-mail you a copy? Let me know. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings and memories. He is a great man.

leah said...

p.s. our blog is www.kaytasfamily.blogspot.com or you can e-mail me. leahgrow@gmail
thanks leah

Scott and Mal said...

Your blog makes me cry everytime I read it. I miss you like crazy!! We love you guys

lisa midge said...

I am a friend of Aarons from UVSC, many moons ago. Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful stories. There were a few times that you could find Aaron helping me with my car during college. He was my big brother when my actual big brother was miles away and couldnt help me. Thank you for sharing your brother and your stories. It reminds me of the goodness that has touched my life and how I want to do better and more for others.