Tuesday, January 8, 2008

How to go on?

I have thought many times about posting, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Loosing my brother is definitely the hardest thing I've had to face. It is impossible for me to try to explain even a portion of what he meant to me. He wasn't one of those kind of brothers that just pick on their younger sister (although I have a story or two of him doing so). He was a brother that loved me from his core... and he let me know. He didn't only tell me, he showed me how much he loved me. There are numberless times that my dear brother came to my help. He served me. He sacrificed for me... and I knew that if I ever needed anything, and I mean anything, he would be there to do it with a big grin! He called me often, just to talk. He tried setting me up with his friends... and set me up with the love of my life, Dave. He invited me on trips and outings. He made me feel like I was one of his best friends... he was one of mine.
A sweet lady from my ward, Sister Pina, wrote me a note letting me know of her condolences. She said something that I have thought a lot about. She said, "you will never get over it, but you will get through it." I hope to get through this well, because I will never ever get over loosing my brother and friend. Oh, how I miss him.
I am so grateful for family. I am a blessed girl. I have the most amazing family. I have my amazing husband and daughter. And, I have the family I was blessed to be born into and the family I was lucky to marry into. I love each one of you, my family. That is the biggest way I feel of my Heavenly Fathers love... because of the family he blessed me to have.

Lake Powell this past summer. Susie, Dave, Me, and my sister-in-law Leslie(Aaron's wife), my brother Aaron, my nephew Aaron Jr., my brother-in-law Scott, my nephew Jakson, my brother-in-law Rob. So glad I had the chance to go to both my brother and my favorite place on earth... one last time together.
Last picture taken of the whole Harkness family.
My Whiting family.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

april... thank you so much for your comment on my blog. you have no idea what that meant to me to hear from you. i wish i could express in words to you how grateful i am for your help and support since aaron was taken. it is getting harder each day for me... i thought it would get easier, but each day is harder than the last. i miss him so much, i can hardly breathe.
thank you april. i love you.
leslie *

christa said...

I felt the same way...where to begin? I love what you said about family. I so agree. I can't tell you have grateful I am for the two families Steve and I share. I love the Harkness side like I love my own. I feel so blessed to be a part of such incredible families. Malia and I always use the word "lucky" when we get excited about something. I feel "lucky" to have the families I have. I thank my Father in Heaven daily. On mine and Steve's first date, we had an hour drive up to L.A. We spent most of the time talking about our families. What impressed me most was the things he said about his family. He talked about all of you. Especially your mom and how much he loved and respected her. I knew you all had to be pretty great by the things he said. He was right. We love you guys so much and are thinking of you everyday!!

Michael said...

Hey, this is Michael Moore. Caroline and I really miss you guys, so I googled "April and Dave" and found you.

We're really sorry about your brother April, I hope you guys are getting along well.

Susie is getting so big! I bet she and Ryan would have a blast playing together now.

Dave, estou pensando em visitar o nossa país favorito no ano que vem. Amo você cara, tenho muitos saudades. Se vocês querem ir juntos, seria um feriado muito gostoso.

Hopefully we'll see you some time this year :-/ Let us know when you're coming in to town.

-- Michael and Caroline (and Ryan)

Michael said...

Oh, sorry, I forgot to give you guys the link to our blog.

http://michaelandcaroline.blogspot.com/