Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pictures help

Looking at pictures of my brother is very helpful for me. There are trips, special occasions, and every-day-life pictures that just flood my mind of memories I have. Those memories are so warm and therapeutic for me. As I have thought and thought about things I've done with my brother, places we've gone together, and growing up with one another... I have not been able to think of even one incident where my brother and I got in a quarrel. That is amazing. He was so easy to get along with.... so kind and gentle. He was so physically strong and capable, but was even more tender at heart. I loved his hugs... they would just engulf you. I have thought about those big hugs a lot since he has past... and as I think about it now, perhaps it is a tender mercy that I have been able to remember those hugs so vividly, because oh how sweet and healing they could be.
My memories of my brother are sweeter than nectar... one of the best treasures I have. I'm grateful I have some wonderful pictures to back those memories up. Here are some pictures that I had on our computer of my brother. Leslie, Aaron Jr., my brother Aaron.

Aaron Jr. wearing his Daddy's shoes. He was such a Daddy's boy... it pains me to think of him growing up without his Daddy there.

Aaron Jr. in his Daddy's vest.... adorable!

Aaron with his son Aaron Jr. Aaron loved to be a father and was an excellent one.

Aaron and Aaron Jr. on Aaron's speed boat.


Aaron loved to fish... and always managed to catch the biggest one. He once caught a fish with a piece of chewed-up gum!


Aaron is in the right-hand corner of this picture. I like this picture because it shows Aaron laughing... and for some reason he often took his hand to his head, as shown in this picture, when he laughed.


He was a cowboy at heart.

Aaron and Aaron Jr. looking for good 'skipping' rocks. Proud to match his son.


Aaron with his loved dog, Ode. Ode went anywhere and everywhere with Aaron. Aaron actually found Ode, years ago, on the side of a freeway in a cardboard box... and took him home.


He loved the outdoors.


Aaron was amazing at wake boarding. I was blessed to go with him many times... and was in awe every time with how much 'air' he could get.

10 comments:

christa said...

So grateful for digital cameras these days. I think because of them, we take more pictures than film cameras. I think it's interesting how whoever we talk to, they always talk about how amazing, kind, gentle, loving, etc. Aaron was. Literally, he was loved by everyone. What a "Gift" he was to everyone.

I'm glad you got to talk to Steve last night. It was good for him to talk to you. We really miss you guys and that little Suzie.

Love you

Anonymous said...

Hi April. I got here through Leslie's blog. I am at work sobbing just hoping no one comes into my office. I really appreciated seeing the pictures and reading your comments. I miss Aaron so much. He taught me how to wakeboard. This last year I went quite a bit and got a lot better with practice. I was SOOO excited to show Aaron the progress. I guess he will still see it, but I won't get to hear him exagerate how good I did. He always made me feel like I was as good as him. I was nowhere near as good but he was very encouraging. It was hard to come back to Oregon and be without family. I'm sure you felt the same way leaving Bountiful. Anyway, sorry to take up space on your blog. We love and miss you, Aaron.

Lisa said...

i recognize a lot of these pictures from leslie's blog. they are so beautiful and especially meaningful now. how lucky (blessed) we all are that leslie took so many pictures!! i hope you are finding comfort somehow as you are so far away from family. although i know that having family close isn't really helping leslie. she is so lonely and lost. i wish you and your little family the best. with love.

Scott and Mal said...

I hope that you are finding comfort as the days go by! I think of you and pray for you often! I hope you know how much we love you and appreciate having you in our lives! Please call me if I can ever do anything for you! I am always here to talk... even at 3 in the morning! :) Keep your chin up and remember he's always with you!!

leah said...

April, I am so so sorry. I want so badly for your family to know of the fond memories I have of Aaron. I think about it everyday. I don't even know how or where to start. I know what I want to say but I think it is hard for me because I can't believe your loss. I love this post and I am so glad I found your blog. Even though it was a rough situation I am so glad I was able to see everyone at the funeral.
I love you all. Leah

Dani said...

Beautiful...I get chills every time I open your blog. Jared and I look up to you guys. I know we're a poor substitute for family, but we'd love to hang out with you guys...know that we're here and pray for you guys.

Scott and Mal said...

April, I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and your family this morning. I hope that you are finding peace and comfort! Your pictures are great and Scott tells some great stories of the lake powell trip this summer and I am so glad that you all got to spend that week with him! I love you and I hope you are doing well! We miss you!!

jensenfamily said...

Hope you're doing well considering the range of emotions that your family is going through. Give little Suzie a squeeze for us~ Sverre and Erin

Marci + Dan said...

Hi April, it's Nick's little sis Marci. These pictures were so moving, thank you for sharing them with your beautiful thoughts. Your little Susie is adorable. Love from NYC, Dan and Marci.

vickersfam said...

April, I hadn't checked your blog since early November until now and wasn't aware of all that's been happening with you. I'm so sorry for your brother's death. I'm glad to hear that pictures have brought you some comfort. You're such a sweet and strong soul. I wish you continual peace and healing in this difficult time. Would you please e-mail me your Chicago address? I have a family letter that I almost sent to your parent's address.

Thanks and love,
Natalie
totero99@hotmail.com