Sunday, June 7, 2009

Half Marathon

This past Saturday, June 6th, I ran my first Half Marathon! It was definitely hard, but such a great experience. It was in South Bend, Indiana... the finish line was in the Notre Dame stadium... yes, the very stadium in which one of the best sports films took place: Rudy-- way cool!
Me just before the race began.... ooh, man I was nervous and excited and wanted to cry all at the same time! I swear that I got a total of about 2 hours of sleep the night before, just because I couldn't get my mind to stop thinking about things to do with the race! Luckily, my sweet cousin, Kim and her hub let me (and my friend Michelle!) sleep at her place (which was closer to the race) the night before... so I only had to wake up at 3:30 am instead of 1:30 am! Thanks again Kim and Bubba!

Michelle and I before the race.


Michelle, Me, Mindy.
I was so glad to be running this race with good friends--it made the race that much better!
Running is definitely not a natural exercise for my body... I feel that my body likes anaerobic and flexibility types of motion much better than aerobic. So, my goal was to run the race within 2.5 hours, which was a challenge for me (I run pretty slow)... but to my astonishment, my goal was accomplished! Yeah!!!
I clocked in at 2:21:56
The first 10 miles felt pretty good, but the remaining 3.1 were treacherous! The best part was entering the stadium... people were cheering and clapping, which gave me a boost to sprint to the finish line (which I did not feel I could have done even 3 miles earlier!).
Posing by the Rudy statue after the race.
Oh, how I was sore during and after the race! This picture shows a blister on my pinkie toe. After the race, I took off my shoes and it honestly looked like another appendage was growing off said toe. It was HUGE and full of liquid-- it also didn't feel so great rubbing against the inside of my shoe during the race... not to mention the other blisters, ouch! But, my blisters weren't the worst of it, my knees felt so stiff and sore... it started to feel like my knee's were grinding bone on bone.
Despite the pain, it was truly a great experience that was not only physically gratifying, but emotionally as well. It was heartwarming to see the support of complete strangers holding signs, setting out sprinklers or radio's on the curb to encourage and cheer on the passing racers. Just minutes into the race, I became overwhelmed and teary eyed by it all. It is definitely something I look forward to doing sometime in the future... not the too near future though!

10 comments:

Michelle M said...

You look so pretty, even after running FOREVER. Yes, your toe blister was gross. Give your body time to heal!

Kim said...

YEAH! I'm so glad you did it - and in an awesome time, too! Wish we could have spent more time with you... and no, you can't have the brick wallpaper.
(By the way, thanks for the candy. Henry was VERY excited about it :)

christa said...

I'm so excited you did it and liked it! I wish I could've been at the finish line! It's such a great accomplishment and you did so great! Maybe one of these days we can do one together!!!

Dani said...

speakin' of hot mama!! You did GREAT! Way to go...I'm getting really nervous/excited for my half-marathon in August.

Jeff and aimie said...

Congrats!!! That is so great!! What a great accomplishment!!

jensenfamily said...

congrats! that's so exciting - i love it when people finish their first big race~ hope you guys are doing great! Erin

Turner said...

Wow, what a surprise, a blister on April's foot!!! That is so great that you run, that's inspiring to me! What a cool place to run too!

leah said...

That is so amazing. It seems so overwhelming. Great job April!

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions April..... Luv yah, thinking about you and your family always.
XoXo
-Kirsten

Leslie said...

congrats and good work april. i am still waiting to do something like that. i do want to someday, but it is the training... i can't get into it. :) WAY TO GO!