Friday, October 23, 2009

September Travels

Just the kids and I traveled home this past September, Dave had to stay back for school. The visit was just in time for my mom's store (Secret Haven) Fall Open House... which, is always AMAZING! We also enjoyed a day at the Zoo with Dorothy, my mother-in-law, and a Halloween party at my folks house.

Susie's always happy when we get to visit Bestemor!
Susie and Bestemor playing catch.Lennon loved Ode!
Secret Haven's Open-house
My mom asks her employees and customers to dress-up for her open-house. The costumes are always so fun... and it always shocks us that so many people come completely decked-out! Just too much fun. The night before, I drew a sketch for a costume to make and wear to the open-house. Above are my two seamstresses, my mama and her friend Maria (who happened to come over while we were busy sewing... we forced her to help) :)!This is how my costume looked when it was done. (I'm a "Halloween-ie Ballerin-ie")My mom and I. My mom made her costume too... there's a hula-hoop in that skirt of hers!My mom doesn't miss a detail... look at that toothy BLING!My sister-in-law, Christa and I. Christa's face was PURE glitter! (She looked like how S. Meyer explains Edward's skin to appear in the sunlight... but, perhaps more rainbow hued!)

Little America
We took Christa out to breakfast for her birthday. 5 adults, 9 rambunctious kids, and one unhappy waitress at Little America. Crazy good time!

Zoo Day
Dorothy took Susie, Robbie Lennon, and I to the Hogle Zoo one day.
Cute baby elephant.
I loved these lion drinking fountains when I was younger. I couldn't believe they were still in working order.
Susie roaring!
Susie, Dorothy, and Lennon on a train ride.
Susie's sitting on a huge elephant statue that played music, and shot air from it's trunk... I think Susie enjoyed this even more than the animals at the zoo!
Dorothy was so nice to take Susie on the Merry-go-round several times. It was the cutest merry-go-round I've seen.
Susie kept choosing the strangest animals to ride... the above picture shows her on a preying mantis.

Halloween Party
My mom with Lennon.
Can anyone guess who Lennon is?...
... Harry Potter! (This was a quick improvise)
Grace and Susie venturing around.
Tinker Bell Susie.
My parents had a way fun treasure hunt for the kids. These next few pictures are of the kids going from clue to clue.
Malia looking through her found treasure. Each grandchild got a Halloween bucket full of fun toys and goodies.My dad, Lennon, Nick, Ava, and half of Sadie Joy.Cousins: Sophie, Malia, Lennon, Chicken Pearl, Tinker Bell Susie, Grace holding Ava, Builder Aaron Jr., and Car Isaac.

We enjoyed lots of fun with our trip home! My flight back to Chicago, with my two kids, was quite the contrast! First, our flight was delayed, then Susie decided it would be fun to run away from me... so, I left our carry-on luggage unattended (which 'they' remind you not to do), picked Lennon up and started a mad dash to retrieve my wild child. Somehow she got out of site and my heart was racing. A few terminals down, I saw an airline worker with a confused look on her face. She was looking down one of those accordion-like hallways which lead to a plane. I asked, "Did a child go down there?" All she did was shake her head yes, while giving me a look that said, what kind of mother are you? I ran down the bouncy hallway to find Susie in line with the other travelers (boarding a plane headed to Canada)! I found her... but, that was not the end of my traveling troubles... oh no.... Susie decided to become a wet noodle, to pretend that her bones were made of rubber, so I had to drag her (while holding Lennon) back to our luggage and the correct terminal.
Finally when we made it on the right plane, with our bags safely stored away, and into our seats things began to calm down. Until... Lennon threw up all over me, then diarrhea-ed out of his diaper. Of course I didn't have an extra change of clothes for him, so he flew home in his birthday suit (plus diaper). Oh, man!
Well, somehow we made it back to Chicago alive... but, just barely. :)

4 comments:

Michelle M said...

Oh I have so many comments for this one...

1: Your costume was GREAT (and equally weird) and I'm so impressed and pleased with how much your family loves Halloween.

2: I was so glad to see that your mom had bling in her teeth because when I saw the picture of you and her, I SERIOUSLY thought that her teeth were terribly stained or something!

3: What kind of a merry-go-round has a preying mantis?!

4: LOVE Lennon's tattooed scar and glasses.

5: I loved your family's attempt at a picture of your siblings and kids.

6: I HATE it when kids play limp- SO HARD TO HANDLE! How do they choose the worst possible time for it?!

mindy said...

WOW!! I was curious about how the flight went...I forgot to ask you. You are a trooper!! I don't know what I would have done in that situation. How scary, stressful, frustrating, and annoying, but really funny when you look back on it!! You are so patient!! It looks like you had a fun time at home. I always love all your costumes!!

Leslie said...

what a fun filled week. WOW !!!
i hope you got that photo i sent to you of all of us girls at lunch. if not, i can email it again.

you looked amazing in your costume for the open house. i was amazed you pulled that together so quickly.

it is always fun having you home.

Anonymous said...

What a hectic/crazy airport story! Gotta love the wet-noodle trick. Your family is as beautiful as ever, love the posts!